Potential Dangers Of DIY Teeth Whitening

You can bleach your teeth at home or get a whitening treatment from the dentist's office. Many people opt for at-home whitening because it is relatively inexpensive. Unfortunately, DIY whitening is fraught with several dangers, some of which are discussed below.


The enamel, which is the outer layer of the teeth, protects internal teeth tissues from irritants. When you damage or remove the enamel, the irritants (such as hot and cold food and drinks) can reach the pulp and roots of the teeth and cause pain and discomfort.

The chemicals used in teeth whitening, mainly peroxide, it meant to bleach the enamel (that gives the teeth their characteristic white looks). However, you can erode your enamel if you use high concentrations of peroxide or leave the whitening treatment on for a long time. Such enamel damage would leave to dental hypersensitivity.

Uneven Whitening

Many people would agree that unevenly white teeth are unattractive. Even teeth that are not so white are better than unevenly white teeth provided the former are uniform in color. Unfortunately, DIY whitening can lead to uneven whitening. The unevenness arises if the bleaching product doesn't touch all the surfaces of your teeth. For example, if you use custom-made whitening trays that don't fit your teeth properly, some of the teeth may whiten more than the others.

Oral Tissue Irritation

Dental bleaching chemicals are formulated for the teeth, specifically the enamel. The bleaching products can irritate the soft tissues of your mouth, such as your tongue, gums, and lips. In a dental office, the dentist will take care not to let the chemicals come into contact with unwanted surfaces. With DIY bleaching, you may accidentally expose the soft tissues of the mouth and experience the related irritations.

Gastrointestinal Irritation

Apart from your oral tissues, bleaching chemicals can also irritate your stomach and even trigger gastrointestinal problems. Ideally, the bleach should only touch your teeth, and you should rinse your mouth and spit after the treatment. Accidental swallowing of the bleach is possible with DIY bleaching, however, which raises the risk of stomach upsets.

Enamel Damage

Lastly, you might also damage your enamel permanently if you elect to bleach your teeth at home. Enamel damage is possible if you use improvised whitening products and settle on abrasive substances. Such abrasive substances will erode your enamel, weaken it, and increase your risk of teeth damage from various quarters (including trauma and bacteria).

DIY whitening can work, if you know what you are doing and get it right. Ideally, however, you should first consult a dentist before you whiten your teeth at home. Visit a site like https://www.belgradedental.com/ for more help.